Military Relocation - PCS Moves - Maryland

Blog Post Image

PCS: The Basics About Permanent Change of Station

If this is your first time making a PCS move, you are going to have a lot of questions.  Doing it with a spouse, family or pets can make it more difficult.

A permanent change of station, or PCS, is a fact of life if you are in the military.

A permanent change of station is a longer-term assignment, generally two to four years. Moves inside the continental United States are known as CONUS. Moves outside the continental U.S. are known as OCONUS. These are typically overseas moves, but OCONUS also includes Alaska, Hawaii and U.S. territories.


Here are a few tips for moves outside the continental U.S.

If you’re taking your family, make sure their names are on your military orders.

What you can take depends on your rank and whether you have dependents.

Your household goods typically are moved via a government carrier.

The military won’t pay for you to move your pet and often they are required to be quarantined.

Your best source of information if this is your first PCS move is to read

  Attachment K1 "It's Your Move" Armed Forces Members

You also need to think about where you are going to live when you arrive.  You need to check to see if Government Housing is available. If not you have to get a certificate of non availability so you can seek other housing options such as renting a home or apartment.  Often families will chose to live on the economy. Some chose to purchase a home. You will need to find out what options are available and allowed for your particular circumstance. Another great source for information on this is Military One Source

Working with a Real Estate Agent familiar with the military lifestyle, PCS moves and VA Financing Options will make that process much easier. They are familiar with VA Financing, and Preferred housing in the areas near the Military Installations. They can help you get your financing in place before you arrive.  In some cases they can have the property settled and ready for when you arrive.

For more help with Housing for your PCS move contact me at Contact Stacy Echard  with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage

6031 University Blvd. STE 100, Ellicott City MD 21043