Should Active Duty Military Buy or Rent?
Having a stable home environment is vital when men and women of the military are called away to serve their country. If you are planning on making the military your career, you may not want to wait 20+ years to buy your own home.
When military staff and their families relocate, the services of a real estate professional who understands their needs and timetables makes the transfer easier, faster, and less stressful. They can also walk you through some of the pros and cons of home ownership for a particular area.
Here a few of the pros and cons to be considered if you are thinking about buying.
- The length of time it takes to buy - You have to research the area, find a home and wait for it to close; you could be in temporary housing 6 weeks or longer.
- The added costs associated with the purchase (home inspections, closing costs etc.).
- If you are moving again in 2 - 3 years, you may not gain enough equity to be able to sell with out losing money.
- You may have to choose keeping the home and renting it if you can't sell it.
- The extra cost of paying property tax, maintenance, insurance, HOA or Condo fees, etc.
- In some areas paying a mortgage may be less than renting.
- If you are staying 3 or more years there is a possibility of making a little return on your investment.
- Tax advantages of buying a home. (deduction of your mortgage interest)
- It could be a good investment for the future if you are ok with keeping it as a rental property. (There are property managers who take care of this for a fee)
- The comfort and security of owning your own home.
- You may be returning to the same location and do not want to have to look for a new home.
- Maybe you have pets and have had a hard time finding rentals that you like who accept them.
The decision to buy or rent is really and individual choice. No one can really make that decision for you. A realtor can however give you the facts about the market in they areas they serve. Most also have a network of agents worldwide they can refer you to if you. A REALTOR® with the MRP (Military Relocation Professional) certification has the knowledge and skills for working with veterans and active duty military buyers and sellers to ensure that home ownership remains an affordable and accessible option.
Planning ahead is key no matter which option you choose. In some cases it may be possible to have your new home all ready for you to move into when you arrive at your new location.
For more information on military relocation anywhere in the world, buying VA, or any other real estate questions you can contact me. stacyechard.com